WASHINGTON, DC–Halifax International Security Forum, North America’s leading foreign affairs and defense conference, announces the release of its topical agenda of the 10th annual meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia, November 16-18.
See the agenda here.
For the past 10 years, Halifax International Security Forum’s agenda has gained a reputation as a prescient road map of the global security issues the international community will address in the coming year.
“I am very proud to bring democratic leaders together every November to search for solutions to the world’s most pressing security challenges,” said Peter Van Praagh, President of Halifax International Security Forum.
“For our 10th anniversary meeting, the agenda will highlight the specific challenges coming from China and Russia as well as more general but no less pressing concerns such as terrorism, migration, technology, trade, energy, inclusive security and modernizing international institutions,” Van Praagh added.
Featuring a delegation from the United States Congress, heads of government, defense ministers, four star officers, and the world’s leading experts from more than 75 countries, Halifax is the only place where global democracies meet to enhance their joint strategic cooperation.
The Hon. Harjit Sajjan, Canada’s Minister of National Defence, will host this year’s Halifax International Security Forum.
Halifax International Security Forum is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC. The Forum is made possible by generous support from its partners, including the Government of Canada and the Halifax Canada Club.
2018 TOPICAL AGENDA
Plenary Sessions (On-the-Record)
- 100 Years On: Are We Tired of Winning?
- Asia Values: A Free and Open Indo-Pacific
- Present Tense: Treachery in Tech, Trouble in Trade
- Inclusive Security: Playing the Winning Team
- Beijing’s Cravings, Kremlin’s Gremlins: Freedom’s Foes
- Migration Aggravation: Failing States Flooding Borders
- UN-specific: Aging Institutions, Modern Solutions
- Future Tense: Our World in Ten
Informal Sessions (Off-the-Record)
- Afghanistan: Pivot of Asia
- Africa: Global Security’s Next Big Story
- After Brexit: EUphoria or EUlogy?
- Climate Consequences: It’s the End of the World as We’ve Known It
- Curbing Corruption: Global Magnitsky
- Demography: Destiny’s Child
- Energy: What’s New Under the Sun?
- Germany and its Alternatives
- Globalizing Dignity: Democracy Works
- How Do You Solve a Problem Like Korea?
- Indo-Pacific Security: Battle of the Billions
- Iran: Protection by Pulling Out?
- Mayhem, Massacre, Misery: MidEast Makeover
- Monroe’s Doctrine Disinterred
- Nafta My Own Heart: Friends With What Benefits
- NATO Plus 2%
- Oceans 1: Our Collective Resource
- Populism: Popular?
- The Quad Squad: Asia’s Democracy Defenders
- Syria: Sorry
- Targeting Tomorrow’s Terrorists
- Tech: America’s Great Inventions, Its Enemies’ True Intentions
- Testing Turing: AI Update
- USA: U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!
- Vancouver Peacekeeping Initiative: Mali and More
- Venom in Venezuela
- Water Everywhere: Where’s a Drop to Drink?
- Wavering on Uighurs, Firmer on Burma: Where Muslims Are Minorities