The Nigerian Immigration Service has finally released the seized international passport belonging to one of the legal advisors of the #EndSARS protests, Moe Odele.
The passport which had been in possession of the service for about 6 days was finally released to Moe today.
Recall that Moe had been stopped from leaving the country and also had her passport seized in what the immigration service later described as a “routine assignment”.
Odele said that when she tried to board an international flight at Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos on Nov. 1, immigration authorities told her that she was under military investigation and thus barred from leaving Nigeria.
When she met immigration authorities on Nov. 3, they declined to return her passport, but did not tell her why the military is investigating her or outline any charges. Odele said the military has not contacted her.
Army spokesman Sagir Musa referred questions on Odele’s case, and on whether any other protesters were under investigation or barred from travel, to immigration officials.
A spokesman for the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) did not respond to calls or WhatsApp messages, nor did the Department of State Services, the security agency that would bar Nigerians from leaving or entering the country for security reasons.
Moe took to her Twitter page today to make the announcement.
“Passport now picked up. No issues. I’m told I can travel at any time. Thank you so much, everyone, for the help and concern”, she tweeted.